The Power of Giving on #GivingTuesday
With Thanksgiving only days away, Americans, are gearing up for another festive holiday season. Beyond the cold weather and great food, stores also begin their barrage of Black Friday deals, Cyber Monday steals, and other holiday shopping calls-to-action. However, there’s another call-to-action that’s more important than a discounted flat-screen TV and that’s “to give”.
To give means to cause or allow (someone) to have (something); to provide or supply with.
When you give (or donate) to Goodwill you cause or allow someone the opportunity to earn a living. Your giving helps someone earn their high school diploma or find a job. Memphis Goodwill’s mission is to change the lives of people with barriers to employment through work and education. Your giving allows us to fulfill that mission throughout the year.
Once you’ve found the perfect Black Friday deal or Cyber Monday discount, consider making a difference on Giving Tuesday.
What’s Giving Tuesday?
According to GivingTuesday.org;
#GivingTuesday is a global day of giving fueled by the power of social media and collaboration. Observed on the Tuesday following Thanksgiving (in the U.S.) and the widely recognized shopping events Black Friday and Cyber Monday, #GivingTuesday kicks off the charitable season, when many focus on their holiday and end-of-year giving. Since its inaugural year in 2012, #GivingTuesday has become a movement that celebrates and supports giving and philanthropy with events throughout the year and a growing catalog of resources.
Here’s how you can help Memphis Goodwill on #GivingTuesday;
- Donate Stuff: Drop off your gently used goods, clothing, furniture, and etc. to any Goodwill donation center. Click here to find one in your neighborhood.
- Shop & Round-Up: Visit our stores for the latest in discounted fashions, second hand electronics, and more! During check out, round-up your change to give back to our community programs like The Excel Center and our Job Centers.
- Make a Donation: Consider giving a financial gift to help further our mission of changing lives and giving those with barriers to employment a second chance. You can securely give online via PayPal here, by mail here, or via phone by calling Shawna Engel, 901-323-6221 ext.115.
- Spread the Word: Know someone in need of a job or an adult without a high school diploma? Refer them to our Job Centers or The Excel Center for FREE help!
- Tell a Friend: Let your friends know about #GivingTuesday by sharing a message on your favorite social network. Just copy and paste any of the messages below;
Facebook Message #1: On #GivingTuesday, I’m standing with #MemphisGoodwill to help those with barriers to employment. Learn more and join me: http://ow.ly/UZ0iM
Facebook Message #2: After #BlackFriday and #CyberMonday I’m going to help create jobs by giving to #MemphisGoodwill on #GivingTuesday. Learn more and join me: http://ow.ly/UZ0iM
Facebook Message #3: There’s no better feeling than giving to #MemphisGoodwill, especially on, #GivingTuesday. Giving is the reason for the season. Learn more and join me: http://ow.ly/UZ0iM
Twitter Message #1: Stand with me and #MemphisGoodwill to help those with barriers to employment on #GivingTuesday. Learn more: http://ow.ly/UZ0iM
Twitter Message #2: #BlackFriday is good 4 the wallet, but donating to #MemphisGoodwill on #GivingTuesday is good for the soul! Join me: http://ow.ly/UZ0iM
Twitter Message #3: Sharing: The Power of Giving on #GivingTuesday [Excellent post. Be sure to give to your local #MemphisGoodwill!] http://ow.ly/UZ0iM
It’s ok to save a few dollars on stuff during the busiest holiday shopping weekend of the year. Just remember that giving is the reason for the season. Thank you, in advance, from the Memphis Goodwill team.